Banana Bars with Brown Butter Frosting – Can you say that 5 times fast?!
hah! Me either!
Buuuuuut, I can eat 5 of these bars in a row!! THEY ARE DELICIOUS!
I got this delicious recipe from Life’s Simple Measures and I’m so glad I did! You will want to always have overripe bananas on your counter to make these wonderful bars!
Let’s get started!
In your mixing bowl, blend together 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 1 cup of sour cream, (or in my case I used 1 cup of plain yogurt.) 1/2 cup of softened butter, and 2 eggs.
Mash up about 4 bananas and mix into your mixing bowl along with 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract.
I save myself some time and just mash the banana inside the peel!
Once bananas are incorporated, add 3/4 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of baking soda, and 2 cups of flour.
**Optional** fold in 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts.
Spread batter evenly into your greased, and lightly floured jelly roll pan (15×10). Bake in preheated 375F oven for 20-25 minutes.
*From my experience making this recipe, make sure to bake this long enough! The top should be a golden brown, and when you stick a toothpick in it, it should come out completely clean! I love to under bake my cookies and such, but I highly recommend baking this until it looks like this picture below!!
While the bars are baking, go ahead and start the brown butter frosting. In a saucepan, heat 1/2 cup of butter (I use unsalted butter for all my baking) over a medium heat until it boils. Let the butter turn a light brown, BE SURE TO WATCH THE WHOLE TIME. It will turn a light brown very quickly, and if you burn the butter, DO NOT USE IT. You will taste how burnt the butter is, so just start over! Once the butter is a light brown, immediately take it off the burner.
In a new mixing bowl, add 4 cups powdered sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, 3 tablespoons of milk, and your browned butter. It should be fairly thick, not runny like a glaze!
Once the bars have cooled down, and when I say cooled down, I mean let them cool down almost all the way, spread the frosting on the bars! I had a bad experience of putting the frosting on the bars while they were fairly warm and it soaked into the bars making them taste like banana mush!
Don’t they look delicious?!?!
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream (or substitute 1 cup plain yogurt)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup (3 or 4) ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- **Optional 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 375F
- Grease and lightly flour 15x10 inch jelly roll pan.
- In mixing bowl, beat together sugar, sour cream (or yogurt), butter, eggs until creamy.
- Mash bananas.
- Mix in bananas and vanilla.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt. blend until combined.
- **Optional fold in walnuts.
- Spread batter evenly into jelly roll pan. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.
- Start frosting by heating butter in a saucepan until it boils and turns light brown. Remove from heat.
- In mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, vanilla, milk, and butter. Whisk until smooth, should be thicker than glaze.
- Spread frosting over bars once they are cooled.
Did try this recipe? Let me know how it went!